Grandma, You Were Right

>> Monday, August 12, 2013

I've jumped back into Patty Wysong's "A to Z" Meme- Yay!
A to Z blog hop at Patterings.

This week is the letter "D".
 Be sure to hop on over to some other "D" posts through the linky tool below.

Mother's Day, 1995

My Grandma Friend was an awesome lady.

She spoiled me rotten. She loved ferociously. She was “that” Grandma.

One of my fondest memories is when my card shuffling skills were displayed during her pinochle games. Bragged me up like I was really special.

To her, I was.

She built her home many years ago overlooking the lake, and fully intended to live out her days there. At 92, she passed away, drinking in the scenery from her chair in that same house.

One of my favorite Grandma-isms was when she’d tout,“Gettin’old’s not so bad, but it’s Darned inconvenient.”

And now I’m there.

Never one to be bothered by my age, the number is quite irrelevant. Most days I forget my half-century (plus) status and just chug through life.

Yet lately, it seems that the age train has started to roar down the tracks. It squeals into the next stop and I hear echoes of “All Aboard”. Try as I might, I cannot ignore the faint cry in the distance.

A lot of it is mindset. I feel good, and don’t act my age. Yet occasionally, reality pays a visit. My hands and knees ache just a little more and I have to face the fact that I'm probably in the early stages of arthritis.

My hearing has always been an issue and I’ve worn hearing aids since I was 25. This has nothing to do with age, but from a chronic condition in childhood. Yet I suffer the stigma of an “old people” thing.

I struggle with low blood sugar and have to eat often. It’s annoying, but the alternative of raging headaches and temper tantrums are not worth it. The positive is that when I keep it in check, weight control is a bonus.

The latest thing? I’ve got sleep apnea. I’ve snored my whole life, but was still blown away when diagnosed in the severe category.

No wonder I was so tired!

So now I’ve been outfitted with this “cute” little machine with a mask that straps on my face at night. This ensures that my airway stays open and I don’t stop breathing. And die. (Small comfort.) Note: Don’t even consider asking for a pix—not gonna happen.

So here I am, at 52, a hearing impaired, hypoglycemic, that looks like an alien at bedtime.

I feel better every day as my machine and I become BFFs. I’m in the best shape of my life and continuing the quest to stay that way. Most important, I’m happy.

Yeah, Gram, you were right: Getting old is Darned inconvenient.

But really, it’s not so bad.

17 comments:

Diane Reed Loew August 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I too share the CPAP machine and I hate it. I'm glad you are getting great results and when are the three of us getting together????

Anonymous,  August 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Wow, what a great story. I am always impressed when I read any thing you write that my little sis is such an accoplished writer. Lov ya middle sis

Laury August 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM

It is darned inconvenient to grow older but it's pretty fun to have less strings attached and we can pick up and go too. There are perks! :)

Nicole Mandeville August 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM

What a wonderful reminder about a lady I too miss.

J'nell Ciesielski August 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I too have many of the same problems: hunger, snoring, aches and pains, but most people say they'll go away when the baby comes. And then I'll have a whole new set of problems!

Dora Hiers August 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Oooh, I can relate to the train roaring down the tracks, Kimberly. It's mighty loud, isn't it? lol. Great to meet you!

Barbara Lynn Culler August 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM

My mom says that whoever coined in the "Golden Years" was crazy-nothing golden about it! I respond that maybe it's because you spend so much gold (money) on medication, doctor visits, etc.

I'm 58 and feel like I'm already old in body, but my brain usually disagrees.

Diana Lesire Brandmeyer August 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Ugh, I have that cpap machine. I hate it! I can't keep it on! I'd like for it to work but it slips off every night. So I try and sleep holding onto it.

Maybe we're PROGRESSING. :)
Blessings,
Diana

Susan Craft August 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I just received my Medicare card in the mail. Lucky me! But I did take advantage of the Senior Citizens' discount at Taco Bell yesterday -- $1.40 off the bill. Yay! I always say it's going to be a good day when I wake up and nothing new hurts. :-)

Nancy K. Sullivan August 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Your post is so fun and shows a healthy acceptance of the inevitable. It sounds like I may be about a decade older, but like you say "It's just a number." I admire that you can actually use a CPAP. I had to opt for an adjustable bed to elevate my head and shoulders :) Thanks for the smiles, including your "self-portrait" Loved it!

Susan August 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM

LOL! My grandmother used to say the same thing. I'm staring down 40 this year and cannot believe the changes! Oh yeah, and the speed at which it came:) I'm much younger than the 40 year olds that were around when I was a child. For sure:)

Tom Threadgill August 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I watch my kids (both in their late 20s) and wonder how they do it. Staying up late, always on the go. My wife reminds me that we used to be like that. Funny how time speeds up as we age, isn't it? Thanks for the post!

Karla Akins August 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM

:::raising hand::: CPAP victim here, too. Ugh. And I had a wonderful Grandma, too. I wish she could have stayed with me forever. Your grandma was write, aging is indeed Darned Inconvenient!

Joanne Sher August 16, 2013 at 10:37 PM

OH yes. Hubby has a Bi-Pap (which, apparently, is more troublesome than the CPAP. It IS inconvenient - but inevitable. Fun post. :)

Karen Wingate August 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Wow! Someone else uses the term "Grandma Friend." Our girls coined this phrase for two special ladies in our church my husband ministered to in rural Kansas because we lived so far away from family.

Kimberly Russell August 17, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Your comment made me laugh,Karen: Friend was her last name!