A to Z: Treadmill Trauma

>> Tuesday, October 4, 2011

As part of my quest to live a healthier lifestyle, I started walking this summer.

I won't say I totally love the whole exercise thing, but I know it's something I should be doing.

Besides that, I've been in the early stages of osteoporosis for several years and recognize the importance of weight bearing exercise on my slowly-becoming-fragile bones.

So I walk. And occasionally run.

But fall is coming and I became concerned about how I would continue exercising when cold weather takes up permanent residence. The obvious answer was a treadmill. The problem? I don't have a lot of room in my tiny house and I didn't really want to put out the money.

My wonderful niece came to the rescue and let me borrow a treadmill to see if I would like it. The process of wrestling it out of her basement, squeezing the bulky thing into a vehicle, and set-up in my spare room was an adventure but we got the job done.

Another niece works in the health care field and cautioned me quite forcefully about the amount of injuries that come through ERs due to treadmill mishap. I quickly poo-pooed her and rolled my eyes.

Really? How hard could it be? Apparently a lot of people have a bad case of the clumsies if they can't even stay on a treadmill. I dismissed her concerns and excitedly prepared for my first run.

Water bottle? Check. Sweat rag? Yup.

iPod  stuffed in my ears, I was ready.

My niece had also nagged me about using the kill switch. I felt a little silly but clipped it on and took off. The music carried me away as I trudged along and I was even starting to enjoy myself.

Then it happened.

One minute I was upright and the next I was plunging backwards, carried along by the track.

Stunned, I eventually tumbled to the end with the thing looming over me as it folded backwards, about to come down on my head. And all the while, the track rolled on, carrying away the first layer of skin from my knee as I wondered how I could get it to stop...

Took me a minute but finally gathered my wits enough to jerk the tether cord.

Damage assessment:
3-large bruises
2-rug burns
1-severely wounded pride

Either I tripped or lost my balance. Doesn't matter. I will not let treadmill trauma deter me from my mission of getting healthy.

Let's just hope it doesn't kill me first.

11 comments:

Diana Lesire Brandmeyer October 4, 2011 at 8:41 AM

OUCH! I had a treadmill once and quickly learned I had to hold onto the rail. I'm way to distracted by my thoughts when I walk and I took a tumble on ours as well. Thankfully, the kill cord worked for me.
Diana
www.pencildancer.com

Rita Garcia October 4, 2011 at 5:46 PM

OUCH OUCH OUCH! Glad you're okay other than the bruises and wounded pride. Even happier that it isn't deterring your mission of being healthier!

Laury October 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I figured out that our treadmill works great to hold clothes. Unfortunately:) I'd much rather dress warm and walk outside. Be careful on that monster! Don't let it eat you!!!!!

Niki Turner October 4, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Oh owie! I can SO relate. I could not use my treadmill at all without holding on. I've gravitated toward DVD workouts. I have a hard enough time managing two arms and legs without a motorized mechanism!

Barbara Lynn Culler October 5, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Glad you weren't more seriously injured! But you kept it up! you go girl!

Shelly,  October 5, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Thinking of an oldies tune...."little runaway,,,,,, run,run,,,, run,run,,,, runnnnaaaaawwayyyy! :)

Joanne Sher October 5, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Oooh boy - no more ouchies - k???

Shelley Ledfors October 5, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Oh, my goodness! So glad you weren't hurt worse. Glad you're committed to continuing a healthy lifestyle, though. Of all of the changes I've made exercise is the one I'm still inconsistent with, compared to the others. Sigh. Guess I'd better get on the 'ol elliptical today!

Patty Wysong October 7, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Oh man. Don'cha just hate it when that happens??!! ouch. So glad you had the kill switch clipped on! And good for you for exercising!! =]

Anonymous,  October 11, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I too, had a treadmill accident, which had left me leary until last year while at the Y. I totally get what you went through as well as the thought process about how hard can it be? BTW, I do eye rolls, too!! :)
Glad to know you will still be amongst the living and my pew buddy at church!! Be safe and be careful!!
Janice

Sparrow October 13, 2011 at 3:45 AM

Ahh, I hate treadmills. They are noisy, boring, and dangerous. 'Nough said.