"S" is for Smoothie

>> Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A few months ago, I went on yet another quest to lose weight. I've done it before. And enjoyed some short term success. Unfortunately, I also gained back. Not all of it, but I can't imagine the whole yo-yo thing a very healthy pattern. This time I came at it from a different angle.

Yes, I wanted to lose fifteen pounds, but I also realized that a lifestyle change was in order. Getting the weight off was only the beginning. I made a conscious decision to learn how to eat healthy, acquire cooking skills, and not just "quick fix" the pounds away.

(Exercise is another important component --tune in next week for the letter "T".)

I've accomplished my weight goal and lost almost twenty pounds. I won't shamelessly plug the method I used but if you want to know more, let me know.

I'm as proud of my new healthier lifestyle as I am of now-baggy clothes. Learning to cook was a feat just short of miraculous. It isn't something I've ever enjoyed and my success rates were dismal. But by tapping into the power of education and knowledge (and a little help from Google), I have succeeded.

One of the most exciting new concepts has been breakfast smoothies.

Like many people, I don't like to eat in the morning, But I do subscribe to the fact that you need something substantial to start your day besides a gallon of coffee.

Smoothie de jour is the answer.

It starts with fresh fruit. I like to use different combinations in order to come up with unusual tastes-- kind of a fun way to get my creative juices flowing.

Next, 1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt. While the stuff is pretty nasty standalone, it contains all kinds of health-promoting goodies.

A squish of honey sweetens things up and enhances the fruit flavors.

And then the most important ingredient: a handful of fresh spinach.

If you are screaming, "ewwwww" at this point, hang in there with me.

By dumping all this in a personal blender and letting it whir for a while, the result is a quick, delightful breakfast, chocked full of vitamins and minerals that I cart all over the house while I'm getting ready for work.

As a bonus, breakfast smoothies help with the battle of the vegetables. I have an intense aversion to most and trying to choke down three every day is sometimes hard for me. This gets one out of the way early and you can hardly taste it. (You'll just have to trust me on this one...or try it yourself.)

Does it look disgusting?
                                  Oh Yeah.
                      Does it taste super-yummy?
                             Without a Doubt!

So try it...You Just Might Like It!

12 comments:

Barbara Lynn Culler September 27, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Good for you! YAY for your successes! I'm curious to see if your "T" post will be similar to my "T" post!

Rita Garcia September 27, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Yay! Way to go! I'll take your word for the delightful taste and may even give it a try.
Wonderful post!

Diana Lesire Brandmeyer September 27, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Good for you! I love smoothies, but have yet to make them for breakfast.
www.pencildancer.com

Ginger September 27, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Okay, I, for one, am wondering about your secret success. I have a number of pounds to lose(and hopefully never find again) and am at a loss how to accomplish it.

Please e-mail me privately, so I can pick your brain - mwaahahha

ginger(dot)solomon(at)gmail(dot)com

Joanne Sher September 27, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Glad you've found this - and that lifestyle change is a HUGE accomplishment!

Great post, Kim.

Niki Turner September 27, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Whoo hoo! Way to go! Weight loss can be SO challenging.
My husband is a smoothie fan (I'm not, I'd rather chew my calories). He really likes Beachbody's Shakeology mix. It looks a lot like what you have pictured when he mixes it up.

Sandi Hughes,  September 27, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I am so very proud of your many accomplishments through the years!! YOU ROCK, Chica!! I, too, look forward to those wonderful shakes. They will be VERY yummy!!!!!!!!!! We will have to share newly found creations!!

Laury September 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Wow! You lost me at spinach, GF:) Yay for you, though:) Keep it up!

Lisa Mikitarian September 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Woo-HOO!!! Kim--congrats. I love those smoothies and am also trying to drop 20! You've done a great job--maybe it will rub off on me:).

Sparrow September 28, 2011 at 11:50 PM

I love most vegetables but I still struggle to get more than one or two in a day. Congrats on finding a healthier lifestyle that works for you! That's huge. :-)

Patty Wysong September 29, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Smoothies are the greatest! We used to do veggie ones and yes, it definitely beat all those veggies--and we LIKE veggies. Your recipe sounds good to me! Very good. Just might try it--and totally shock my husband. ROFL

Thanks, Kim!
Hugs!!

Shelley Ledfors October 1, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Ooh, good for you! Congrats on the weight loss and especially the lifestyle change! I have made major lifestyle changes in the past couple of years, too. (And lost nearly 50 lbs.) I also love smoothies! Some of them do look pretty weird, but are so good (and good for us!)