Random Ravings Regarding (W)Riting

>> Monday, September 19, 2011

I'm finally back on the meme trail, just in time for the letter "R".

My Sunday School class is studying John Bevere’s book, Breaking Intimidation.

It's an amazing book and I’ve learned so much about my writing journey and myself. The focus is on the fact that the enemy wants to intimidate us out of using our God-given talents. We’ve all been given gifts and it is our responsibility to use them for his glory.

I’ve known for several years that being a writer is who I am: I was created to put words on a page. And I’m supposed to use that talent for him. The problem comes when I get afraid, insecure, lazy, etc.

In other words: intimidated.

The study has taught me about the ploys of the enemy and how he uses people in his quest to deter me. I must learn to recognize his tactics and by keeping my focus on God, I can overcome intimidation.

The way he generally gets to me is through my head. I often question what I'm doing, give in to my fears, and get too busy with life to write. Eventually my writing passion rears up and demands attention. Then a wrestling match ensues to see who will come out on top. It’s been running fifty-fifty.

Talk about being your own worst enemy

My passion actually has a name: I call it “The Grrrrrr .” It comes out of nowhere—kind of like a drive by. I’ll be innocently going about my life (getting ready for work, watching TV, driving along) when…WHAM...it hits.

An idea surfaces and the muse goes on the loose.

There’s no shutting him down and he will stay in my face until I give in and spend some time with him. I try to snag a few minutes to jot down general ideas, praying they will make sense later. Often by the time I get back to it, the luster has faded. And sometimes not. But when a story comes together, it’s like puzzle pieces clicking into place.

It’s the best feeling ever.

Lately I’ve struggled with my focus, purpose, blah, blah, blah. Then “out of the clear blue sky,” I met a lady that had read some of my writing. She was very complimentary and enthusiastic. God is always on time and he knew I needed a little encouragement. I was so appreciative of her kindness as it really lifted my sagging spirits.

And I don’t believe in coincidences.

In case you haven’t figured it out, the whole theme of my blog centers around what I’ve learned from the "Breaking Intimidation" series.

Interesting that the “grrrrr” theory has been rattling around in my head for months. But to fearlessly share with the courage of a lioness is a relatively new concept.

Kind of go together, don’t they?

I love it when he does that.

14 comments:

Mari September 20, 2011 at 12:41 AM

It's funny to read other people's thoughts on "how" they write and think...whoa, that's just like me! And all along I thought I was a freak with this.

Well...Grrr...hear me roar.

Shelly,  September 20, 2011 at 7:50 AM

There's a time to roar and a time to purr,
"There's a purpose for everything under Heaven".

You're doing great sis!

Patty Wysong September 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Sounds like a great book, Kim! And good for you for wrestling the intimidation. It's worth fighting!! =]

Shelley Ledfors September 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Excellent post, Kim! I have been thinking along those lines myself a lot lately. Whether by intimidation or distraction, busyness, laziness, whatever, the enemy sure does whatever he can to keep us from what God wants us to do. And some of those attacks are so subtle we barely notice. But the more we're aware of it the better we can fight it. May we all roar on! :-)

Rita Garcia September 20, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Kim, I SO relate to your thoughts and feelings about writing. Sounds like John Bevere’s book would be worth investing some time in. Thanks!

Diana Lesire Brandmeyer September 20, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Love it. I think we should all get name tags or bumper stickers with GRRR hear me roar!
Diana
www.pencildancer.com

Marji Laine - Unravel the Mystery September 20, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Thanks for your insight. You have a beautiful blog - love lions!

Laury September 20, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I have no time to write in this time of my life, it seems. Hoping soon. Love this post! :)

Kimberly Russell September 21, 2011 at 5:12 AM

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

The J.Bevere book is awesome. You really have to stick to it because he goes very in depth and winds around here and there but eventually it all ties in together.

Has been an amazing study and I'm pretty sure, the reason God led me to the church he did. Plus, I found the home he had for me.

Yes, he rocks.

amy,  September 21, 2011 at 8:31 AM

i need to readj.bevere's book. god is good. thank you for continuing to write good things. God is good.

Niki Turner September 22, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Our church just finished John Bevere's "Extraordinary" study. He is an amazing teacher of the Word. "Breaking Intimidation" was the first of his books I read... such incredible insight!
BTW, have you read his wife's latest book? "Lioness Arising," by Lisa Bevere? Sounds like it would be right up your alley! : )
Blessings!

Sparrow September 23, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Yup, that's just like me, too. I have times when I have trouble writing... too tired, usually. Then along comes a story, usually in the middle of the night, and there I go.

So cool that God brought someone along to encourage you at just the right time.